Posted by & filed under MySQL.

MySQL, the most popular open source database, releases on November 27, 2008, its version 5.1 GA (General Availability). It is now available on Dotdeb for Etch (amd64/i386)!

Version 5.1 introduces several enhancements to the already rich set of features. Most notable are partitioningrow based replication, the event scheduler, a new plugin infrastructure, and logs on demand.

There are more new features, but the general improvement is better performance and manageability. Many users have already adopted MySQL 5.1 in production. Their feedback has been reported in the MySQL technical articles. Check them out. MySQL 5.1 is ready for prime time!

42 Responses to “MySQL 5.1.30 GA available on Dotdeb”

1. Nico

Will there be an upgrade for your php5-mysql package which doesn’t depend on libmysqlclient15off but libmysqlclient16?

@Nico : No, because it will cause libmysqlient-related mismatches between php5-mysql and mysql-linked Apache components, such as libapache2-mod-mysql. This will lead to segmentation faults. Sorry :)

3. Gimly

Hi all,

I just update on my debian etch from mysql-server-5.0.67 dotdeb version to mysql-server-5.1 dotdeb version and during the upgrade I’ve this problem :

——————–
    Paramétrage de mysql-server-5.1 (5.1.30-0.dotdeb.0) …
    Stopping MySQL database server: mysqld.
    Starting MySQL database server: mysqld . . . . . . . . . . . . . . failed!
    invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action “start” failed.
    dpkg : erreur de traitement de mysql-server-5.1 (–configure) :
    le sous-processus post-installation script a retourné une erreur de sortie d’état 1
    dpkg : des problèmes de dépendances empêchent la configuration de mysql-server :
    mysql-server dépend de mysql-server-5.1 ; cependant :
    Le paquet mysql-server-5.1 n’est pas encore configuré.
    dpkg : erreur de traitement de mysql-server (–configure) :
    problèmes de dépendances – laissé non configuré
    Des erreurs ont été rencontrées pendant l’exécution :
    mysql-server-5.1
    mysql-server
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    ————————–

If you have any idea ?

Gimly – French user

4. Daniel

I have updated apache2+php5 with apt-get on my debian etch and manually updated phpMyAdmin to 3.1.

phpMyAdmin gives me this error:
    Your PHP MySQL library version 5.0.67 differs from your MySQL server version 5.1.30. This may cause unpredictable behavior.

phpinfo() shows the same versions.
    dpkg -l
    ii libmysqlclient-dev 5.1.30-0.dotdeb.0
    ii libmysqlclient15-dev 5.1.30-0.dotdeb.0
    ii libmysqlclient15off 5.0.67-0.dotdeb.1
    ii libmysqlclient16 5.1.30-0.dotdeb.0
    ii mysql-client-5.1 5.1.30-0.dotdeb.0
    ii mysql-common 5.1.30-0.dotdeb.0
    ii mysql-server 5.1.30-0.dotdeb.0
    rc mysql-server-5.0 5.0.67-0.dotdeb.1
    ii mysql-server-5.1 5.1.30-0.dotdeb.0
    ii apache2 2.2.3-4+etch6
    ii libapache2-mod-php5 5.2.6-0.dotdeb.1
    ii php5 5.2.6-0.dotdeb.1
    ii php5-mysql 5.2.6-0.dotdeb.1

What I have to do now to fix this?

@Daniel : Sorry, but, as said above, there is no way to fix this without causing segfaults in the LAMP stack. Anyway, there’s no reason for incompatibilities between 5.0 libraries and a 5.1 server in the PHPMyAdmin case (let me know if I’m wrong).

Try to comment this warning in PHPMyAdmin (main.php)

6. Daniel A.

after the update i have one db that i can not access. phpmyadmin shows it like this: #mysql50#freund-db, any hint what this means ?

7. Daniel

I used the phpMyAdmin version directly from phpmyadmin.net (3.1.0-all-languages), not from the apt repositoriy.

I tried it with mysql and mysqli extension, the message appears on the bottom of /phpMyAdmin/index.php page. The same mysql version (5.0.67) is shown in php’s phpinfo() also.

contents of /usr/lib/php5/20060613+lfs
    56K 2008-05-02 12:24 curl.so
    340K 2008-05-02 12:24 gd.so
    92K 2008-05-02 12:24 imap.so
    31K 2008-05-02 12:24 mcrypt.so
    96K 2008-05-02 12:24 mysqli.so
    44K 2008-05-02 12:24 mysql.so
    24K 2008-05-02 12:24 pdo_mysql.so
    84K 2008-05-02 12:24 pdo.so

md5sum:
    b5b40253f9645f5c8d5d733f4bec0323 mysqli.so
    4124b8b5c77cfd673fb6b08883eb2e42 mysql.so

8. Nico

@Daniel:

AFAIU this error depends on dotdeb’s php5-mysql(i) linked against libmysqlclient15off, not libmysqlclient16 where the latter would be adequate to be used with the new MySQL packages.

@Daniel & @Nico : This is not a libmysqlclient1[56] related problem… From the MySQL documentation (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/upgrading-from-5-0.html) :

“Known issue: MySQL introduces encoding for table names that have non-ASCII characters (see Section 8.2.3, “Mapping of Identifiers to Filenames”). After a live upgrade from MySQL 5.0 to 5.1, the server recognizes names that have non-ASCII characters and adds a #mysql50# prefix to them. Running mysqlcheck later (or mysql_upgrade, which runs mysqlcheck) to upgrade these names encodes them with the new format and removes the #mysql50# prefix. However, although this is done for tables, it is not done for views. To work around this problem, drop each affected view and recreate it.”

10. Nico

@Guillaume:
    Uh, I thought he was talking about the “Client has version 5.0.67, server has 5.1.30, this can cause an unpredictable behavior” message PMA states after login.

11. Daniel

@Nico & @Guillaume:
    “Daniel” & “Daniel A.” are different people, think thats your problem. :)

12. badlllama

This may seem like a dumb question, but for some reason innodb isn’t working. Every table I create with engine=innodb is myisam. skip-innodb isn’t in the my.cnf and all the innodb settings are there.
    Never seen this before so thought it might be a dotdeb thing.

@badlllama : I didn’t find a way to reproduce this issue. skip-innodb is commented in /etc/mysql/my.cnf, MySQL has been restarted and here is the result :

mysql> SHOW ENGINES;
    (…)
    | InnoDB | YES | Supports transactions, row-level locking, and foreign keys | YES | YES | YES |

Please review your configuration one more time, please.

14. Julien

some days ago I wanted to make the update of mysql 5.0.67 towards 5.1.30 but have some problem

with apt-get update && upgrade

result :

Les paquets suivants ont été conservés :
    mysql-server
    0 mis à jour, 0 nouvellement installés, 0 à enlever et 1 non mis à jour.

with dkpg-l

ii libmysqlclient15off 5.0.67-0.dotdeb.1 MySQL database client library
    ii libmysqlclient16 5.1.30-0.dotdeb.0 MySQL database client library
    ii mysql-client-5.0 5.0.67-0.dotdeb.1 MySQL database client binaries
    ii mysql-common 5.1.30-0.dotdeb.0 MySQL database common files (e.g. /etc/mysql/my.cnf)
    ii mysql-server 5.0.67-0.dotdeb.1 MySQL database server (metapackage depending on the latest version)
    ii mysql-server-5.0 5.0.67-0.dotdeb.1 MySQL database server binaries
    ii apache2 2.2.3-4+etch6 Next generation, scalable, extendable web server
    ii libapache2-mod-php5 5.2.8-0.dotdeb.1 server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language (apache 2 module)
    ii php5-mysql 5.2.8-0.dotdeb.1 MySQL module for php5
    ii php5 5.2.8-0.dotdeb.1 server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language (meta-package)
    ii php5-cgi 5.2.8-0.dotdeb.1 server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language (CGI binary)

Os : Debian etch + plesk 9

could you help me please

@Julien : use an utility such as dselect or aptitude, it will help you to resolve blocking dependencies and to upgrade to mysql-server 5.1.

Unistall mysql-server-5.0, then install mysql-server-5.1 (comment skip-bdb in /etc/mysql/my.cnf before doing it, it will make the upgrade much easier).

16. chris

i get also this error:

dpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten von mysql-server-5.1 (–configure)

but how does this skip-bdb commenting work?

i have made it so: just #skip-bdb and then i tryed to reinstall the 5.1.3 but the error still comes up?

shoul i restart the server after commenting?

@Chris: yes, comment and try to restart the server before relaunching the upgrade process.
    If it still fails, replace your my.cnf by the new one when you are asked about it.

18. chris

replace your my.cnf by the new one when you are asked about it.
    – there is now asking dialog when im upgrding…

19. Phil

How do I prevent the update to 5.1? I still want to use 5.0 but use the dotdeb PHP Packages.

@Phil : you just have to uninstall mysql-server (it’s a metapackage, as said in its description) and explicitely install mysql-server-5.0 instead of mysql-server-5.1.

21. Martin Norland

/usr/bin/mysqladmin doesn’t appear to be bundled in the mysql-client-5.1 package – this prevents installation of the server, as the process fails. I grabbed the deb-src and built it, and was left with the following upon inspection of the built packages:

# dpkg –contents mysql-client-5.1_5.1.30-0.dotdeb.0_i386.deb
    ( lists various files from package… )
    tar: Skipping to next header
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
    dpkg-deb: subprocess tar returned error exit status 2

dotdeb’s 5.1 binary client package did install properly on my system, but there was no mysqladmin. This was a brand new install, never installed any mysql prior to this, so I wonder if the 5.1 client isn’t replacing the 5.0 mysqladmin on other peoples installs? Can anyone confirm that they’ve got 5.1 from dotdeb with `mysqladmin –version`?

@Martin Norland > mysqladmin is included in the package :

# dpkg -c mysql-client-5.1_5.1.30-0.dotdeb.0_i386.deb |grep mysqladmin
    -rwxr-xr-x root/root 28936 2008-11-28 00:39 ./usr/bin/mysqladmin
    -rw-r–r– root/root 4585 2008-11-28 00:39 ./usr/share/man/man1/mysqladmin.1.gz

# mysqladmin –version
    mysqladmin Ver 8.42 Distrib 5.1.30, for debian-linux-gnu on i486

23. Martin Norland

You’re correct – my apologies, the mysql-client-5.1 .deb in my /var/cache/apt/archives was corrupt/incomplete… not certain how it managed to install cleanly despite that. Clearing it out and re-downloading/installing it resolved my problem.

Thanks!

24. Mark

@ Plessis,
    am new to sql and trying to learn and create tables for the first time.i just installed mySQl 5.1 and when i enter the command it notifies me of ERROR 1064 (42000):you have an error in your sql syntax; checl the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax.

please advice me

25. Mark

@ plessis:thanks.i realized i had not created a database. i just encountered a very funny erro,after i created my tables and exit mysql.i cant log in with the previous password. advice me please. thanks

26. medusa

Hello,

I installed mysql using this command:
    apt-get install mysql-common mysql-server mysql-server-5.1
    apache 2.23 and php5.28 I installed before … I always uses dotdeb mirrors.

The problem ist, that mysql is not integrated in php5.
    I I install mysql 5.0 I don´t have this problem and mysql is integrated and everything runs fine.

Can anybody post a solution please … I am totally confused ;-)

Sorry for my bad english …

Regards

medusa

27. sdeluca

Hi there!

Sorry for asking, but where can I found mysql-server-5.1 debian package?

That is: apt-get install mysql-server-5.1 doesn’t work