On july, 22nd, the PHP Group released PHP 5.2.14 :

The PHP development team would like to announce the immediate availability of PHP 5.2.14. This release focuses on improving the stability of the PHP 5.2.x branch with over 60 bug fixes, some of which are security related.

This release marks the end of the active support for PHP 5.2. Following this release the PHP 5.2 series will receive no further active bug maintenance. Security fixes for PHP 5.2 might be published on a case by cases basis. All users of PHP 5.2 are encouraged to upgrade to PHP 5.3.

The packages for Debian “Lenny” are now available on Dotdeb.

Of course, you’re advised to read the full announcement and the Changelog before upgrading.

Thanks (again) to Stefan Esser and the Month of PHP security for improving PHP.

24 Responses to “PHP 5.2.14 is available too”

1. Jimps

My installation got broken after upgrade. When I’m trying to start php-fpm:

sudo /etc/init.d/php5-fpm start
    Starting php5-fpm Jul 25 23:46:56.263293 [ALERT] [pool www] pm.min_spare_servers(0) must be a positive value
    Jul 25 23:46:56.263355 [ERROR] failed to post process the configuration
    failed

I read something about that the configuration had changed from ini to xml I think, but mine is still in “.ini”-style.

2. JarekMk

I have small problem, before upgrade – 5.2.13 WP or phpBB was generated pages in eyeblink – now after upgrade it’s slow… Eg. before 1s now 3s…
    Didn’t changed anything in config – have some advice?

//Jarek

3. Raoul Bhatia

@ Guillaume Plessis : i would suggest providing some packages for testing purposes before the actual release – just to be on the safe side :)

4. Marek

@Guillaume Plessis: why? Lack of multibyte causes the problems when php files are saved as UTF with BOM.. As web hosting company we cannot force our customers to use UTF without BOM..

5. g

I did what instruction told us… change the repository,

but then I unable to
    execute

apt-get install php5

because its dependencies are unresolved.
    How could we do solving out dependency at one time?

mine was error caught at:
    libapache2-mod-php5
    -libdb4.6
    -libkrb53

@g : are you using a stock Debian Lenny or another distribution?
    What is the exact error message returned by real packages managers (such as dselect, aptitude or synaptic)?

7. g

ya, Guillaume Plessis

I resolved the case already, few days ago.
    At the time I done entering the source list pointed
    to dotdeb.org repository, and trying to apt-get
    through Debian Lenny stock…
    It didn’t found some of the packages dependencies.
    That’s the case.

But thanks to another repository which I add ‘em to the source list… which make it works now.

Great thanks 4all.

8. yi

I believe there’s a bug with the sohusin patch/extension.

My code is broken when sohusin is enabled. Before, I can use

suhosin.simulation=On

to disabled it. But with this 5.2.14 dotdeb php any settings in php.ini or suhosin.ini will not take effect. I have to uninstall dotdeb and revert to Ubuntu Karmic’s built-in PHP packages to be able to disable suhosin via config.

9. stronk7

Following Gimler comment above… it would be really great to get the php5-apc package updated to 3.1.4 (security + bug fixes).

TIA and ciao :-)

10. bros

hello

i have upgrade php to 2.2.16 but mysql-common is too upgraded from mysql-common_5.0.51a to the version : mysql-common_5.1.54-0

so if this affecte my current version mysql 5.0.51a ??

@bros : please stop spamming different posts with the same non-issue.

5.0.51a is the libmysqlclient15off version PHP is built against. It is safe, it does not affect the interactions between PHP and MySQL and it does not refer to the MySQL server version. This message is an abusive warning from PHP. Ignore it!

Of course I could have built PHP against a more recent libmysqlclient16 or something but it would have led to duplicate symbols, segmentation faults and an unusable Apache. Your choice :)

Merry Xmas.