On september 13th 2012, the PHP group has released PHP 5.4.7 and PHP 5.3.17, that bring ~20 bug fixes.

The corresponding packages are now available on Dotdeb for Debian 6.0 “Squeeze” on both amd64 and i386 architectures with the following changes :

• php5-suhosin is not a recommendation from php5-common anymore.
  • php5-xcache now includes the admin web interface files (closes #10).
  • php5-apc includes APC 3.1.13 for PHP 5.4, and has been rollbacked to APC 3.1.9 for PHP 5.3 for more stability.

About the PHP-FPM and APC issues, the packages include all that has been committed/released about the many bug reports on these subjects. I’m still watching any activity that would allow me to provide better packages.

As usual, please read the ChangeLog before upgrading and be sure to use to the latest packages before reporting any issue.

58 Responses to “PHP 5.4.7 and PHP 5.3.17”

1. Michael

Hello,

I just upgraded to 5.3.17. Like in 5.3.16 and 5.3.15 I have segmentation faults when using xcache PHP module in combination with ionCubeLoader PHP module. 5.3.14 is not affected. Without xcache PHP module everything works also fine in 5.3.17.

Best wishes
    Michael

2. hanti

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    php5-suhosin : Depends: php5-common (= 5.3.17-1~dotdeb.0) but 5.4.7-1~dotdeb.0 is to be installed
    E: Broken packages

3. Hans van Eijsden

Thank you for all the great work you do and have done, Guillaume.

I use your PHP 5.3.17 on Debian Squeeze 64bit with Apache Worker and FastCGI (via Varnish and mod_pagespeed), but your downgraded APC version gave me big problems with WordPress and W3 Total Cache.
    About 3 to 10 times an hour, the user cache became empty and my site became slow.

I didn’t find any info in the apache error logs, so I decided to uninstall php5-apc. And… I installed apc-beta via pecl, version 3.1.13 (the newest).

Now everything is well and my site is fast again.

4. Tiago

I tried to update my php version 5.3.3 for the current but managed only 5.3.17. I would like to update to version 5.4.7. ‘m doing something wrong?
    sources.list:
    deb http://mirror.us.leaseweb.net/dotdeb/ squeeze-php54 all
    deb-src http://mirror.us.leaseweb.net/dotdeb/ squeeze-php54 all

# apt-get update
    Hit http://mirror.us.leaseweb.net squeeze-php54 Release.gpg
    Ign http://mirror.us.leaseweb.net/dotdeb/ squeeze-php54/all Translation-en
    Hit http://mirror.us.leaseweb.net squeeze-php54 Release
    Hit http://mirror.us.leaseweb.net squeeze-php54/all Sources
    Hit http://mirror.us.leaseweb.net squeeze-php54/all amd64 Packages
    Reading package lists… Done

# apt-get upgrade
    Reading package lists… Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information… Done
    The following packages have been kept back:
    libapache2-mod-php5 php-pear php5 php5-cgi php5-cli php5-common php5-curl php5-dev php5-gd php5-imap
    php5-mcrypt php5-mysql php5-sqlite php5-xsl
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 14 not upgraded.

@Tiago : try to use a more verbose package manager (dselect, aptitude, synaptic) to know what prevents the PHP upgrade (a broken dependency or a missing package, for example). Don’t hesitate to tell me more about it.

5. Joe Auty

Do you guys still recommend installing the Suhosin plugin for PHP 5.3.x? Will it ever be supported in 5.4.x, or has it been abandoned or something?

@Joe Auty : don’t install php5-suhosin if you don’t need its functions. About the PHP 5.4 compatibility, its development has kinda been stalled, so its inclusion is not granted for sure.

6. SonicGD

There are problem with php5-xhprof package:

Настраивается пакет php5-xhprof (5.4.7-1~dotdeb.0) …
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/php5-xhprof.postinst: 22: local: not in a function

• David Goodwin

I see the same problem(s) with php5-xdebug –

etting up php5-xdebug (5.4.7-1~dotdeb.0) …
      /var/lib/dpkg/info/php5-xdebug.postinst: line 22: local: can only be used in a function
      dpkg: error processing php5-xdebug (–configure):
      subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1

My fix was to edit /var/lib/dpkg/info/php5-xdebug.postinst and remove the ‘local’ keyword on lines 22 and 23; then it was happy.

I suspect this is due to me still using bash as my /bin/sh symlink, while perhaps the packager is using dash or something else?

7. Julien

Bonjour,

J’ai installé Nginx avec php en mode php-fpm (sur une Debian 6), et ajouté quelques vhosts avec les
    pools php correspondants.

Lorsque je lance php-fpm :
    /etc/init.d/php5-fpm start

Le processus se lance, ça à l’air de fonctionner (les scripts php sont
    bien interprétés sur les différents vhosts).

Mais par contre la console ne me rend pas la main, je suis obligé de
    lancer une autre console.

Je me suis fait un petit script pour créer un nouveau vhost dans
    Nginx, puis le pool php correspondant, et à la fin, je “reload” Nginx
    et “restart” php-fpam avec
    /etc/init.d/php5-fpm restart

puis au bout d’un certain temps, j’obtiens :
    Restarting PHP5 FastCGI Process Manager: php5-fpm failed!

Je suis obligé de killer les processus php5-fpm (killall -9 php5-fpm)
    pour refaire un
    /etc/init.d/php5-fpm start

Où on repars à la problématique du début mais au moins les scripts php
    fonctionnent.

Si je regarde les logs d’erreur de php-fpm, j’ai pourtant ça lors d’un start :

[26-Sep-2012 00:31:24] NOTICE: configuration file
    /etc/php5/fpm/php-fpm.conf test is successful

[26-Sep-2012 00:31:24] NOTICE: fpm is running, pid 2674
    [26-Sep-2012 00:31:24] NOTICE: ready to handle connections

et ça lors d’un restart :
    [26-Sep-2012 00:42:02] NOTICE: Finishing …
    [26-Sep-2012 00:42:02] NOTICE: exiting, bye-bye!

Donc en résumé le start à bien l’air de démarrer les processus mais ne
    me rend pas la main et le restart stop les processus sans redémarrer
    (failed), je dois killer les processus et faire de nouveau un start…

Avez-vous une idée du pourquoi ?

Merci

8. Mikl

impossible de mettre à jour la version de mon lamp dotdeb, maintenant j’ai toujours ce message:

php5 (5.4.4-5) unstable; urgency=low

* As a security measure the default configuration for Apache 2 has been
    changed to a stricter model. Only files which have the correct
    rightmost extension, and at least one character in the filename before
    that extension, are now interpreted by PHP. For a full list of
    handled extensions please see the Apache 2 configuration. At the time
    of writing this paragraph, the list includes the following regular
    expressions:

1. .+\.ph(p[345]?|t|tml)$ for PHP files (application/x-httpd-php)
    2. .+\.phps$ for PHP source files (application/x-httpd-php-source)

Previously, as a side effect of system MIME type definitions, the
    default configuration would allow the interpreting of files with a
    double extension, where the second extension was either unrecognised
    or a language or content encoding to be interpreted; e.g. an uploaded
    file named blackhat.php.foobar or index.php.cs would be interpreted by
    PHP. These non-standard definitions have been removed from the
    mime-support packages and all configuration of PHP handlers is now
    defined in the Apache 2 configuration files.

The standard configuration now also denies access to files with names
    which consist of an extension and nothing more; e.g. accessing ‘/.php’
    will now return Access Denied instead of the output of the PHP script.

You can use the following command to find whether there are any files
    on your system which would be affected by this change (change
    to the directory name where you store PHP files on your system):

# find -name ‘*.ph[pt].*’ -o -name ‘*.php[345s].*’ -o \
    -name ‘*.phtml.*’ -o -name ‘.ph[pt]‘ -o \
    -name ‘.php[345s]‘ -o -name ‘.phtml’

— Ond?ej Surý Tue, 21 Aug 2012 09:14:47 +0200

@Mikl : quand est-ce que ce message apparait? C’est un extrait de README, qui n’influence en rien le lancement de Apache. Libre à toi d’adopter ou non la configuration recommandée.

• mikl

j’ai ce message dès que je lance un aptitude upgrade…, comment je peux regler ce problème ? merci d’avance Guillaume

@mikl : je n’utilise pas aptitude et ne connait pas ses subtilités (affiche-t-il le contenu du README là où d’autre frontons comme dselect passent leur chemin?). Bref, tente un “apt-get upgrade” à la place.

9. Javier

So its on php 5.4.7 version suhosin is not available, i was wondering which is the substitute to encruise max_input_vars or how is the way to make it…. regards

10. Alexander

I was trying to install php 5.4 on Debian Squeeze. But debian said to me that php5-cli depends on libonig2 and libgdbm14, but both of this packages are unavailable to install, im confused with it, and dont know how to fix this problem, can someone help me?

11. Alexander

Okay, sorry.

Distro: Debian 6.0 Squeeze i386
    PHP Version: none, yet
    sources.list (sources.list.d have same content):
    deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
    deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main

deb http://packages.dotdeb.org squeeze all
    deb-src http://packages.dotdeb.org squeeze all

deb http://packages.dotdeb.org squeeze-php54 all
    deb-src http://packages.dotdeb.org squeeze-php54 all

dpkg -l ‘php*’ | grep ‘^.i’: No packages found matching php*

Bug description: i was trying to ‘aptitude install php5-cli php5-common php5-fpm php5-cgi’:
    The following NEW packages will be installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
    Need to get 11.0 MB of archives. After unpacking 33.2 MB will be used.
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    php5-cgi: Depends: libonig2 (>= 5.2.0) which is a virtual package.
    Depends: libqdbm14 (>= 1.8.74) which is a virtual package.
    php5-cli: Depends: libonig2 (>= 5.2.0) which is a virtual package.
    Depends: libqdbm14 (>= 1.8.74) which is a virtual package.
    php5-fpm: Depends: libonig2 (>= 5.2.0) which is a virtual package.
    Depends: libqdbm14 (>= 1.8.74) which is a virtual package.
    The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Keep the following packages at their current version
    1) php5-cgi [Not Installed]
    2) php5-cli [Not Installed]
    3) php5-fpm [Not Installed]

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?]

Obviuosly such a solution doesn’t suit me. Don’t know what to do.

12. Antony

Been setting up a new server that is going be exposed to heavy load, so I’ve been testing php5-fpm (debian squeeze).
    I was having issues with system V start stop script hanging (stop would need a kill -9 on the main process, start would need a kill on the calling process).
    Part from that the pools where working fine.
    After testing different things I finely spotted that adding in the pool definition file the chdir definition seemed to have sorted the problem
    chdir = /

If this can help someone else having a similar issue….

Thanks guys for all your work :)
    Have a nice day!

13. Doug

Hi. I Installed your PHP on my server and now I need to install libssh2-php, but it requires the package ‘phpapi-20090626′, and when I try to install it, I got:
    ================================================================
    php5-cli 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 [Not candidate version]
    php5-cgi 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 [Not candidate version]
    libapache2-mod-php5 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 [Not candidate version]

E: Package ‘phpapi-20090626′ has no installation candidate
    ================================================================
    Can you help me?

@Doug : install php5-ssh2 from Dotdeb instead.

FYI, Dotdeb is built for Debian stable, not for Ubuntu. You could have such dependency issues, sometimes unresolvable.

• Doug

Hi, The php5-ssh2 worked. Thank you.
        I am using Dotdeb on my Ubuntu Server 12.04.1 and I didn’t got big problems by now except this one.
        Thanks for the help.

• Erik

So I should add the two lines from step one and two? Not only from step 2 if I want PHP 5.4?

When I want to install it can I just run apt-get install php-5 or do I have to run something else, like apt-get install php-54?

14. Jorgen

After upgrading to PHP5.4.7 from PHP5.3.17, the sqlite session.save_handler is no longer available or registered in PHP.
    The changelog does not indicate anything changed here, so am I doing something wrong or is there something else going wrong?

15. Blake Young

Greetings, quick question with the 5.3.17 packages it appears that the php5-sybase/php5-mssql doesnt provide the PDO MSSQL extension, am I missing something on the install but doing and upgrade of php5 / php5-common which picks up all my deps but I lose PDO from the install.

16. Sven Leuschner

@Guillaume
    Following your suggestion I installed php5-mssql (OK php5-sybase the php5-mssql is only a “mirror” – trying to install that gives “already installed” now ) – but I dont see dblib as usable PDO connection. My Server runs Ubuntu SMP 2013 x86_64, PHP Version 5.3.10-1ubuntu3.4 installed as FPM/FCGI.
    Checking phpinfo() reveals that indeed dblib is not announced as available pdo driver.
    Any hints on that matter ?

17. Sven Leuschner

Thanks Guillaume – solved.. its a pure PDO problem – reverted back to old mssql_-Extension and it works like a dream

As of now , I need only to call a single stored procedure – and that works well … Maybe I’ll fix it together with my adminitstrator in a future update

18. dealskey

Could you load any other resources on the site directly? Might be a problem in .htaccess or a wrong Apache configuration after you’ve updated the PHP.

I use

AddHandler php-stable .php

19. free penis male

I got this website from my friend who shared with me concerning
    this web page and at the moment this time I am browsing this web page and reading very informative content
    here.