On March 17th, the PHP Group released PHP 5.3.6. This maintainance release, that focuses on security, is now available on Dotdeb for Debian 6.0 “Squeeze” in amd64 and i386 flavours.
The compatibility with the official Debian packages has been improved and you (especially the FPM users) should really take care of some important changes that I made :
  • the intl extension is now built in a separate package : php5-intl
  • the FPM binary is now /usr/sbin/php5-fpm (previously /usr/bin/php5-fpm)
  • the FPM configuration file is now /etc/php5/fpm/php-fpm.conf (previously /etc/php5/fpm/php5-fpm.conf)
  • the FPM pools have to be moved to /etc/php5/fpm/pool.d/ (previously /etc/php5/fpm/pools/)

As usual, please read the Changelog before upgrading.

Note : The PHP 5.3.6 packages for Debian 5.0 “Lenny” should be released soon.
Update : the PHP 5.3.6 packages for Debian 5.0 “Lenny” are now available on http://php53.dotdeb.org/

112 Responses to “PHP 5.3.6 is available”

1. Daniel Hahler

Thanks for the update.

However, after the upgrade php was not running anymore, and needed to be started.

Upgrade log:
    Setting up php5-common (5.3.6-6~dotdeb.1) …
    Setting up php5-cgi (5.3.6-6~dotdeb.1) …
    Replacing config file /etc/php5/cgi/php.ini with new version
    Setting up php5-fpm (5.3.6-6~dotdeb.1) …
    Installing new version of config file /etc/php5/fpm/pool.d/www.conf …
    Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/php5-fpm …
    Replacing config file /etc/php5/fpm/php.ini with new version
    update-alternatives: warning: alternative /usr/bin/php5-fpm (part of link group php-fpm) doesn’t exist. Removing from list of alternatives.
    update-alternatives: warning: /etc/alternatives/php-fpm is dangling, it will be updated with best choice.
    update-alternatives: renaming php-fpm link from /usr/bin/php-fpm to /usr/sbin/php-fpm.
    update-alternatives: using /usr/sbin/php5-fpm to provide /usr/sbin/php-fpm (php-fpm) in auto mode.
    System start/stop links for /etc/init.d/php5-fpm already exist.
    Doing a soft restart
    Setting up php5-mysql (5.3.6-6~dotdeb.1) …
    Setting up php5-xcache (5.3.6-6~dotdeb.1) …
    [master 931b634] committing changes in /etc after apt run
    9 files changed, 251 insertions(+), 157 deletions(-)
    delete mode 120000 alternatives/php-fpm.1.gz
    create mode 120000 alternatives/php-fpm.8.gz
    rewrite init.d/php5-fpm (87%)
    rewrite ld.so.cache (100%)
    create mode 100644 php5/fpm/php-fpm.conf

2. Ben

+1 As said: “after upgrade, php5-fpm was not running and needed to be started”.
    But worse, I “lost” my setup and needed to update pool.d/www.conf

@Daniel Hahler : Debian now packages php5-fpm in Debian Sid and I had to modify my packaging method (conf files, init script, binary path) for a better compatibility.
    All these moves led to the need of a manual restart of php5-fpm during the upgrade. I’m sorry for this, it won’t happen while Debian does not move the files again.
    And it would be strange to lose conf files : pools/* files just have to be moved to pool.d/ and old ini or conf files are kept with a dpkg-old or dpkg-dist suffix.

4. mark

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /usr/share/phpmyadmin/libraries/select_lang.lib.php on line 146

is there any chance that the phpmyadmin package will also be updated?

currently its still 2.11.8.1-5+lenny8 on lenny!
    with squeeze its automatically 3.3.7deb5
    but this is not the case with lenny and the dot deb package list (and php5.3.6)

@mark : for the eregi warnings, lower your error_reporting level.
    Neither Debian nor Dotdeb will include an updated phpmyadmin for Lenny. Upgrading to Squeeze is a good choice.

6. bretticus

Upgraded to this today for Debian Lenny. Getting a lot of errors in my php5-fpn logs for specific scripts. For example, on script renders:

WARNING: [pool www] child [pid] exited on signal 11 (SIGSEGV) after [seconds] seconds from start

For another, I’m getting errors like:

WARNING: [pool www] child [pid] exited with code 1 after [seconds] seconds from start

My pool configuration is exactly the same. nginx logs just give the standard “…recv() failed (104: Connection reset by peer) while reading response header from upstream…” error. I’m using a unix socket.

Anyone else having these issues on sarge after upgrading?

7. bretticus

I actually upgraded my Debian server to Squeeze (why not, it’s the latest stable eh?) just to see if this was “platform” issue. The same two files are still erring out the same way.

Can someone advise how I could go about rolling back to 5.3.5?

Thanks!

8. bretticus

Thanks @Guillaume. Got php downgraded and everything is working fine again. I dunno if it’s a PHP 5.3.6 thing, but it’s nice to have things back to normal.

9. r4dius

Hi, sorry to ask it here but is there a way to check for the compilation command used for detdeb php archives ?
    I actually need to check the options used for php 5.2.12 for Etch, there’s nothing in the phpinfo page.
    Thanks

10. bretticus

Yes @r4dius, download the source and look under the debian/rules. If you have it installed you can get it from phpinfo() or even from the console: php -i |head.

11. Antony

trying to upgrade php5.3.5 to php5.3.6 on debian lenny

here running apache2-mpm-worker and apt-get is trying to force me to switch to mpm-prefork and returns me this

Les paquets supplémentaires suivants seront installés :
    apache2-mpm-prefork libapache2-mod-php5 libonig2
    Les paquets suivants seront ENLEVÉS :
    apache2-mpm-worker
    Les NOUVEAUX paquets suivants seront installés :
    apache2-mpm-prefork libapache2-mod-php5 libonig2
    Les paquets suivants seront mis à jour :
    php-pear php5 php5-apc php5-cgi php5-cli php5-common php5-curl php5-dev
    php5-gd php5-imagick php5-imap php5-ldap php5-mcrypt php5-mysql php5-pgsql
    php5-pspell php5-recode php5-sqlite php5-suhosin php5-tidy php5-xmlrpc

thanks for all your work. it’s real handy :)

Antony

12. Alex

Does this new package contains xcache 1.3.1? Also, would it be possible to switch over to APC from xcache at my end? Any tutorial for it?

Thanks for the updates.

13. Alex

Actually while updating the php using apt-get php doesn’t run as apache module. If you are free for few mins & I am seeking for help to fix my webserver. Price negotiable but please be reasonable. I have provided my contact email while making this post.
    Thank you.

@Antony : libapache2-mod-php5 depends on apache2-mpm-prefork because it does not work well with mpm-worker. Two solutions :
    * switch from worker to prefork
    * use php5-fpm through FastCGI instead of libapache2-mod-php5

15. Antony

ok, I’ve been using fastcgi for a long time and been able to upgrade without problems up to this version…

should i do an apt-get install php5-fpm ?

I’ll try this tomorrow in dry-run to see what would happen.

Thanks for your help on a day off ;)

I hope you all enjoyed a happy Easter!!

@Antony : sorry, I didn’t know you were using fastcgi (with the php5-cgi package, I guess). Could you please use a package manager, such as dselect, synaptic or aptitude to find what is the problematic dependency?

16. Alex

I removed php5 in order to clean install.

server:~# dpkg -l | grep php5
    rc libapache2-mod-php5 5.3.6-6~dotdeb.0 server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language (Apac he 2 module
    rc php5-idn 1.2b-5.3 PHP API for the IDNA library
    rc php5-mhash 5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny9 MHASH module for php5
    rc php5-ming 1:0.3.0-14 Ming module for php5
    rc php5-ps 1.3.6-3 ps module for PHP 5

I used below command
    apt-get remove –purge php5-common

Can you please tell me steps to re install apache2 and php5 with APC ?

Thank you.

17. Antony

Thanks Guillaume :)

Alex, am I happy to help you out.
    I haven’t done the upgrade on my server, I just spotted the problem and looked at it in dry run… sounds like you have forced the upgrade?

Hope it’s ok with you Guillame if I take the job?
    If you want to do it just let me know :)

Here’s my email antony (at) cantoute.com

18. Antony

Guillaume,

there has to be a dependency to libapache2-mod-php5 somewhere…
    I’m looking for who…. need a few more minutes as I didn’t use dselect in so long that this server didn’t even have it installed :-/

19. Alex

Hi I tried to install but it looks like there is an issue.

server:~# aptitude install libapache2-mod-php5 php5 php5-common php5-curl php5-dev php5-gd \php5-imagick php5-mcrypt php5-memcache php5-mhash php5-m ysql php5-pspell php5-snmp \php5-sqlite php5-xmlrpc php5-xsl
    Reading package lists… Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information… Done
    Reading extended state information
    Initializing package states… Done
    Reading task descriptions… Done
    The following packages are BROKEN:
    php5-common php5-mhash
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    autoconf{a} automake{a} autotools-dev{a} ca-certificates{a} djvulibre-desktop{a} ghostscript{a} gs-common{a} gsfonts{a} libapache2-mod-php5
    libcupsimage2{a} libcurl3{a} libdjvulibre21{a} libgd2-noxpm{a} libgraphviz4{a} libgs8{a} libltdl3{a} libltdl3-dev{a} libmagick10{a}
    libmcrypt4{a} libmhash2{a} libonig2{a} libperl5.10{a} libsensors3{a} libsnmp-base{a} libsnmp15{a} libssh2-1{a} libssl-dev{a} libt1-5{a}
    libtool{a} libwmf0.2-7{a} m4{a} php5 php5-cli{a} php5-curl php5-dev php5-gd php5-imagick php5-mcrypt php5-memcache php5-mysql php5-pspell
    php5-snmp php5-sqlite php5-suhosin{a} php5-xmlrpc php5-xsl psfontmgr{a} shtool{a}
    0 packages upgraded, 50 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 4689kB/29.9MB of archives. After unpacking 86.8MB will be used.
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    php5-mhash: Depends: phpapi-20060613 which is a virtual package.
    Depends: php5-common (= 5.2.17-0.dotdeb.0) but 5.3.6-6~dotdeb.0 is to be installed.
    php5-common: Conflicts: php5-mhash but 5.2.17-0.dotdeb.0 is to be installed.
    The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Keep the following packages at their current version:
    php5-mhash [Not Installed]

Score is -9881

Thanks for the help guys.

20. Antony

it’s not the day to re-learn dselect :(

Alex, what does apt tells you when you try to remove libapache2-mod-php5 ?

# apt-get –dry-run remove libapache2-mod-php5

21. Alex

Package: php5-mhash
    Status: deinstall ok config-files
    Priority: optional
    Section: web
    Installed-Size: 24
    Maintainer: Debian PHP Maintainers
    Architecture: amd64
    Source: php5
    Version: 5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny9
    Config-Version: 5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny9
    Depends: libc6 (>= 2.7-1), libmhash2, phpapi-20060613, php5-common (= 5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny9)
    Conffiles:
    /etc/php5/conf.d/mhash.ini 90f5f04266484addcd4797ecdeca1d9e
    Description: MHASH module for php5
    This package provides a module for mhash functions in PHP scripts.
    PHP5 is an HTML-embedded scripting language. Much of its syntax is borrowed
    from C, Java and Perl with a couple of unique PHP-specific features thrown
    in. The goal of the language is to allow web developers to write dynamically
    generated pages quickly. This version of PHP5 was built with the Suhosin patch.
    Homepage: http://www.php.net/

I guess its dependency issue in 5.3.6? I am such a tard. If anyone can help me it would be great!

22. Alex

Antony,

server:~# apt-get -dry-run remove libapache2-mod-php5
    E: Command line option ‘r’ [from -dry-run] is not known.

Thanks for the help! Any idea on how to go back to php 5.3.5 ?

23. Alex

server:~# apt-get –dry-run remove libapache2-mod-php5
    Reading package lists… Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information… Done
    Package libapache2-mod-php5 is not installed, so not removed
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

But then how come this says below:

server:~# dpkg -l | grep php5
    rc libapache2-mod-php5 5.3.6-6~dotdeb.0 server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language (Apache 2 module
    rc php5-idn 1.2b-5.3 PHP API for the IDNA library
    rc php5-mhash 5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny9 MHASH module for php5
    rc php5-ming 1:0.3.0-14 Ming module for php5
    rc php5-ps 1.3.6-3 ps module for PHP 5

24. Alex

Antony,

First of all thanks for helping.

QQ: Then why during installing, it says:

The following packages are BROKEN:
    php5-common php5-mhash

If it’s not installed then why it says broken?

I am using this to install:

Following this link: http://panaharjuna.wordpress.com/2011/02/09/debian-lenny-installing-apache2-php5-mysql/

Just uninstall the obsolete php5-mhash package. It exists for PHP 5.2.17 but it has disappeared in PHP 5.3. mhash functions are wrapped in the ext/hash extensions and this last one is bundled with each core PHP package.

The upgrade should work fine after this. Be sure to install only PHP-related packages from Dotdeb.

26. Alex

Big thanks to Antony and to you also Guillaume.

Antony, asked me to post his:
    server:~# apt-get –dry-run remove libapache2-mod-php5
    Reading package lists… Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information… Done
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    libapache2-mod-php5 php5
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Remv php5 [5.3.6-6~dotdeb.0]
    Remv libapache2-mod-php5 [5.3.6-6~dotdeb.0]

27. Antony

It looks like it’ll do the job this way. I’ll try it on a late night

~# apt-get –dry-run install php5-fpm
    Lecture des listes de paquets… Fait
    Construction de l’arbre des dépendances
    Lecture des informations d’état… Fait
    Les paquets suivants ont été installés automatiquement et ne sont plus nécessaires :
    libicu38
    Veuillez utiliser « apt-get autoremove » pour les supprimer.
    Les paquets supplémentaires suivants seront installés :
    libonig2 php5-apc php5-cgi php5-cli php5-common php5-curl php5-gd php5-imagick php5-imap php5-ldap php5-mcrypt
    php5-mysql php5-pgsql php5-pspell php5-recode php5-sqlite php5-suhosin php5-tidy php5-xmlrpc
    Les NOUVEAUX paquets suivants seront installés :
    libonig2 php5-fpm
    Les paquets suivants seront mis à jour :
    php5-apc php5-cgi php5-cli php5-common php5-curl php5-gd php5-imagick php5-imap php5-ldap php5-mcrypt php5-mysql

28. Antony

So on an install running dotdeb php5.3.5 on apache2 fcgi, to upgrade to php5.3.6 here is what I did and seems to work so far

~# apt-get update

~# apt-get remove php5
    (this is a pseudo package… no files in there. Perhaps do in in – -dry-run to amke sure on your system no other package is taken out)

then
    ~# apt-get install php5-fpm
    (this upgrade most of the stuff there… apt-get upgrade should have done it no?… )

~# apt-get upgrade
    (this finally upgraded php-pear and php5-dev)

As I use the apache2 fcgi module, actually I didn’t need to install php5-fpm, but it now seems I can’t remove it:

~#apt-get remove php5-fpm
    [...]
    Suppression de php5-fpm …
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/php5-fpm.postrm: line 23: dpkg-maintscript-helper: command not found
    dpkg : erreur de traitement de php5-fpm (–remove) :
    le sous-processus post-removal script a retourné une erreur de sortie d’état 127
    Des erreurs ont été rencontrées pendant l’exécution :
    php5-fpm
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

This php5-fpm looks like the right way to run php in fast-cgi, but on a server in production is not what I’m going to test right now.

~# /etc/init.d/php5-fpm stop

things seem to be working smoothly.

Thanks Guillaume for all you do for us :)

29. Will

Also can’t uninstall php5-fpm due to missing dpkg-maintscript-helper.

This is a pain since apt is saying:

Reading package lists… Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information… Done
    E: The package php5-fpm needs to be reinstalled, but I can’t find an archive for it.

every time I try to do anything.

any advice? Thanks in advance!

30. Antony

tied to add this script to /usr/bin

it still returns me an error

dpkg-maintscript-helper: error: environment variable DPKG_MAINTSCRIPT_NAME is required

I don’t know where to set that variable

31. Anthony

Just to follow up, i got the same segfault errors as Bretticus and downgrading to 5.3.5 seems to resolve the issue

32. Willem

With regard to php5-intl.
    I tried to install php5-intl. It adds libicu44{a} and requires php5-common 5.3.6-6~dotdeb.1
    php5-common on my system is 5.3.6-6~dotdeb.0
    The proposed solution is to remove all my existing php packages (!):
    1) aegir
    11) php5-fpm
    12) php5-gd
    13) php5-imap
    14) php5-mcrypt
    15) php5-mysql
    16) php5-suhosin
    Obviously, i’d rather not do that.

I just recently updated my lenny to squeeze. Can it be that my dotdeb references in sources.list below are wrong?

deb http://packages.dotdeb.org squeeze all
    deb-src http://packages.dotdeb.org squeeze all

deb http://php53.dotdeb.org squeeze all
    deb-src http://php53.dotdeb.org squeeze all

Thanks in advance.

If you upgraded to squeeze, your sources.list should not refer to php53.dotdeb.org (this repository is only for Lenny).

Then, your php5-common package should be 5.3.6-6~dotdeb.1 , not 5.3.6-6~dotdeb.0. Try to upgrade it.

33. Anthony

@Guillaume

yes most likely, as last night the only thing that fixed it was removing the memcache module, bizarrely it had been working well until we started loading the server up that afternoon

FYI, there is a issue with Debian Lenny and Squeeze with
    /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/php5.conf and Virtualmin Pro (a hosting control panel)

In the 5.2 and below versions that config file has..

SetHandler application/x-httpd-php

Which was just fine because the apache2 php mod allowed that directive however
    5.3 and above this is depreciated now and that direct must be changed to

SetHandler application/x-httpd-php5

The Virtualmin developers have been notified of the same issue, see

Thanks to Scott Grayban for reporting this issue.

35. Ralf

Hi, could you please start building php5-memcached with the –enable-memcached-igbinary option.

Also, it would be nice to have a php5-igbinary package in the first place. I just had to make one for myself.

Thanks!

36. Kegan Myers

when attempting to “apt-get install php-fpm” on my MEPIS box i get the following error:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    php5-fpm : Depends : php5-common (= 5.3.6-6~dotdeb.1) but 5.3.3-7+squeeze3 is to be installed

If anyone has a similar issue it can be solved by setting up pinning, making o=phpphp53.dotdeb.org higher than other sources.

37. Spy

I removed php-5.3.6 and clean install php-5.2.17
    but it looks like there is an issue Bade Gateway
    Read error: Connection reset by peer X-Powered-By: PHP/5.2.17

38. tOm

Hi, please help me. I update my PHP from 5.2 to PHP 5.3 on Lenny, but i don’t know, How I can add or reconf. php extensions pdo_mysql.
    I try it over pecl and phpize, but it not working.
    Thanks

39. K.

@Guillaume Plessis: Sometimes I get “Segmentation fault” when running Piwik/archive.sh (php5-cli). I would like to debug php, but strace doesn’t provide much information. I installed php5-dbg, but gdb doesn’t find any debug symbols.

Debian Squeeze, amd64, your repository

40. cga

Hi Guillaume,

thanks for your repo. they allow me to use php-fpm and few other things w/ lenny.

but i have the problem i read in this very page’s comment about dpkg-maintscript-helper. even if i installed dpkg-maintscript-helper manually (by wgetting the script) i still have error on php-fpm.

it basically “breaks” the updates even if system is fortunately working.

so my qeustions/requests are:

when you fix this wtih php-fpm?

will you add 3.0.6 to php-memcache?

thank you.
    cga

:wq

@cga : the dpkg-maintscript-helper issue will be fixed with the upcoming PHP 5.3.7 packages. Upgrading to Squeeze would solve the problem.
      About php-memcache, I’ll update it to 3.0.6 as soon as it gets out of beta.

41. cga

Hi Guillaume,

thanks for the updates, i’ll wait 5.3.7 since i’m stuck with lenny for now.

great news php-memcachec too.

cheers

cga

:wq

42. jea

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    php5-suhosin : Depends: php5-common (= 5.3.6-6~dotdeb.1) but 5.3.6-13 is to be installed

43. Siri Vias Khalsa

Guillame – do you have the php 5.3.2 packages available anywhere? I need them for compatibility, rebuilding a box and cant find the ones I originally downloaded from your repo.
    Specifically, I need php 5.3.2 amd64 for squeeze

44. quaker

@bretticus, @Anthony
    Do your scripts use preg_match()? I’ve found, that increasing ulimit stack size (by command: ulimit -s unlimited, by file: /etc/security/limits.conf) fixes problems with segfaults.

45. Johan

It looks like there’s a bug that causes PHP to eat up all available memory. It’s either in PHP itself, or in the mysql module. I tried to replicate this on PHP 5.3 on CentOS and PHP 5.3 from squeeze repo’s: there the problem doesn’t exist, only in dotdeb packages. I can let PHP eat up all memory through this script: http://pastebin.com/hmHi6WGG

@Jonas : the Suhosin patch for PHP 5.3.7 has been released just a few hours ago. Please be patient, PHP 5.3.7 packages should be available at the end of this week (I just need some sleep and some free time).

46. Kosta

HELP!

servernyc1:~/downloads# apt-get upgrade
    Reading package lists… Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information… Done
    The following packages will be upgraded:
    php-pear
    1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0B/338kB of archives.
    After this operation, 137kB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    (Reading database … 81033 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace php-pear 5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny13 (using …/php-pear_5.2.17-0.dotdeb.0_all.deb) …
    Unpacking replacement php-pear …
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/php-pear_5.2.17-0.dotdeb.0_all.deb (–unpack):
    trying to overwrite `/usr/share/php/XML/Util.php’, which is also in package php-xml-util
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/php-pear_5.2.17-0.dotdeb.0_all.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

47. Jonas

Guillaume: Sorry, I didn’t want to sound so demanding. I’m very happy for the work you put in. I just have this bad habit of reading all the security related stuff in the changelogs and it scares me every time. Thanks for the heads up on crypt() problems.

48. Scott

I saw that 1 person posted the issue about it but I wanted to pass the official posting for it by the PHP group.

I also started to follow your twitter account.

49. ferdinando

Hi, Guillaume.
    I just ran an “apt-get update” to one of my servers and I saw you updated PHP.
    So I installed the new PHP version. But now php -v give this warning:

PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library ‘/usr/lib/php5/20090626/memcached.so’ – /usr/lib/php5/20090626/memcached.so: undefined symbol: libmemcached_check_configuration in Unknown on line 0
    PHP 5.3.8-1~dotdeb.1 with Suhosin-Patch (cli) (built: Aug 23 2011 10:33:56)
    Copyright (c) 1997-2011 The PHP Group
    Zend Engine v2.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2011 Zend Technologies
    with Suhosin v0.9.32.1, Copyright (c) 2007-2010, by SektionEins GmbH

Of course this has something to do with memcached. Is this supported on your version of PHP? I never had problems with your deb and memached.
    Thank you.

50. ferdinando

Never mind.
    My comment wasn’t a rant ;) I just wanted to be useful someway.
    Thank you for your great work!
    Ferdinando

51. Ben

Like Kosta, I am also running into the same error when i run the upgrade. Any ideas what the cause might be?

server:~# apt-get upgrade
    Reading package lists… Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information… Done
    The following packages will be upgraded:
    php-pear
    1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0B/366kB of archives.
    After this operation, 72.7kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    (Reading database … 45283 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace php-pear 5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny13 (using …/php-pear_5.3.8-1~dotdeb.1_all.deb) …
    Unpacking replacement php-pear …
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/php-pear_5.3.8-1~dotdeb.1_all.deb (–unpack):
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/php-pear_5.3.8-1~dotdeb.1_all.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

52. Ben

I ran into the problem, I cannot reinstall the php-xml-util. see the error message:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    php-xml-serializer: Depends: php-xml-util (>= 1.1.1) but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try ‘apt-get -f install’ with no packages (or specify a solution).

I also cannot install other packages.

@Ben : the best way to use pear extensions is to install php-pear from Dotdeb and install all the libraries using the “pear” command line utility (using Debian packages for this will lead to such your issue)

54. Ben

I run into a similar error.

server:~# apt-get purge php-crypt-cbc php-fpdf php-mail-mime php-mail-mimedecode php-net-ipv4 php-xml-parser
    Reading package lists… Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information… Done
    You might want to run `apt-get -f install’ to correct these:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    dtc-common: Depends: php-fpdf but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: php-crypt-cbc but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: php-mail-mime but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: php-net-ipv4 but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: php-xml-util (>= 1.1.1) but it is not going to be installed

@Ben : read the messages from apt : dtc-common needs php-pdf. Try to keep this last package to satisfy the dependencies.

And if you want to solve complex dependency issue, use a decent package manager suck as dselect, synaptic or aptitude

56. Ben

The problem I am running into is that apt-get will not remove or install any other package due to the dependecy issue regarding php-xml-serializer: Depends: php-xml-parser (>= 1.2.6) but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: php-xml-util (>= 1.1.1) but it is not going to be installed

57. Ben

When i run apt-get -f install, I get the following error:
    server:~# apt-get -f install
    Reading package lists… Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information… Done
    Correcting dependencies… Done
    The following extra packages will be installed:
    php-xml-util
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    php-xml-util
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
    3 not fully installed or removed.
    Need to get 0B/16.5kB of archives.
    After this operation, 115kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    (Reading database … 45315 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking php-xml-util (from …/php-xml-util_1.1.4-2_all.deb) …
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/php-xml-util_1.1.4-2_all.deb (–unpack):
    trying to overwrite `/usr/share/php/XML/Util.php’, which is also in package php-pear
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/php-xml-util_1.1.4-2_all.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

58. Scott

I hate that when a file is also in another package and apt isn’t smart enough to either install that file or ignore it.

What version of debian are you using ?

For squeeze php-xml-util is just a virtual package provided by php-pear so its not actually used to install anything and only a reference.

59. Ben

Hi Scott,

Its Debian 5.0 (Lenny)

Now apt will not install any other software because of the dependecy issue.

60. Andreas

I’ve a Debian Lenny with the following sources.list entries:
    deb http://php53.dotdeb.org oldstable all
    deb-src http://php53.dotdeb.org oldstable all
    deb http://packages.dotdeb.org oldstable all
    deb-src http://packages.dotdeb.org oldstable all

I’d like to use nginx with php-fpm, but there is no php5-fpm package. Unfortunately I cannot upgrade to Debian Squeeze.

This article (http://www.dotdeb.org/2010/07/25/php-5-3-3-packages-are-available/) states, that php-fpm is included since php 5.3, does this mean that php5-fpm package is not needed?

It would be nice if someone could point me into the right direction, since all tutorials for Debian Lenny are telling me to install php5-fpm.

Many thanks in advance
    Andreas

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1.  Debian-Linux.pl – Informacje i aktualności ze świata Debiana » Pakiet PHP 5.3.6 dostępny dla Debiana Squeeze
  2.  Notes sur l'administration systemes et le webmastering » Blog Archive » Wordpress : Gravatar ?