Let me introduce Passenger :
Phusion Passenger™ — a.k.a. mod_rails or mod_rack — makes deployment of Ruby web applications, such as those built on the revolutionary Ruby on Rails web framework, a breeze. It follows the usual Ruby on Rails conventions, such as “Don’t-Repeat-Yourself”.
- Deployment is only a matter of uploading application files. No Ruby (on Rails)-specific server configuration required!
- Supports both the industry standard Apache web server and the fast and lightweight Nginx web server.
- Zero maintenance. No port management, server process monitoring or stale file cleanup required. Errors are automatically recovered whenever possible.
- Designed for performance, stability and security. Phusion Passenger should never crash Apache even in case of crashing Rails applications.
- Well-documented, for both system administrators and developers!
I’m glad to announce that Dotdeb now provides Passenger 3.0.7 packages for Debian 6.0 “Squeeze” and Debian 5.0 “Lenny” in amd64 and i386 flavours and I hope you’ll enjoy them.
The installation is very easy :
- your Apache 2.2 server will support Passenger by installing the libapache2-mod-passenger package
- Nginx will be updated to the 1.0.1 version and it will support Passenger in the nginx-extras package
(Thanks to the Brightbox team for their work on the Ubuntu packages)